- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel Review
In the hotel world, the Roosevelt's something of a comeback kid. This historical landmark opened in 1927 and hosted the first Academy Awards that same year. It was a glamour magnet during Hollywood's golden age, but its reputation then slumped until the late '90s.
New owners, a substantial face-lift, and some hip club promoters turned it around. These days, you're likely to need an insider connection to get into the celeb-filled club or the Tropicana poolside bar, where you can peek at the underwater mural by David Hockney.
Though the new management tries to play down the ghost stories of the hotel's past—including sightings of Montgomery Clift, Clark Gable, and Carole Lombard—they did put a replica of the famous "Marilyn Mirror" in every room, modeled after the original, which sparked reports of the actress's ghostly reflection.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $294 -- LA Oceanfront Hotel near Santa Monica Pier, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
I’m just going to state the nitty-gritty to keep this post short. Read more
We're going to San Francisco and surrounding areas in mid-July. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more