- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Southern California 2014
Watts Towers Review
The jewel of rough South L.A. is the legacy of Simon Rodia, a tile setter who emigrated from Italy to California and erected one of the world's greatest folk-art structures.
From 1921 until 1954, without any help, this eccentric man built the three main cement towers, using pipes, bed frames, and anything else he could find. He embellished them with bits of colorful glass, broken pottery, and more than 70,000 seashells. After years of a much-needed restoration, the City of Los Angeles contracted the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to maintain it.
The towers became the centerpiece of a state historic park and cultural center, part of an effort by Watts neighborhood leaders to overcome the area's gangland and riot-zone history—but it's still best to use your street smarts while visiting.
Because of the preservation work, tours may be affected, so make sure to check ahead before booking.
- Address: 1727 E. 107th St., Take I–110 to I–105 east; exit north at S. Central Ave., and turn right onto 108th St., left onto Willowbrook Ave. Watts, Los Angeles, CA 90002 | Map It
- Phone: 213/847–4646
- Cost: $7, includes tour
- Hours: Gallery Wed.–Sat. 10–4, Sun. noon–4; tours Thurs. 11-3, Fri. 11–3, Sat. 10:30–3, Sun. 12:30–3
- Location: Downtown Los Angeles
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Some up front info:
Dates: March 10-25, 2014
3 nights, Glorietta Bay Inn, Coronado
3 nights Borrego Valley Inn, Borrego Springs
3 nights Embassy Suites, Palm Desert
3 nights Embassy Suites, Read more
I spent the last two weeks of March visiting California. Read more
I am planning for a 9 day trip to Yosemite, Big Sur, Oregon cost/Oregon and Washington state – from May 24th to Jun 1st . Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more