- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
City Hall of Los Angeles
City Hall of Los Angeles Review
An icon of the Los Angeles cityscape, this gorgeous 1928 landmark building has seen its fair share of stardom—from the opening scenes of the TV series Dragnet to serving as the "Daily Planet" building in the original Adventures of Superman. During an extensive renovation in the late '90s, the original Lindburg Beacon was put back in action atop the hall's 13th-story tower. The revolving spotlight, inaugurated by President Calvin Coolidge from the White House via a telegraph key, was used from 1928 to 1941 to guide pilots into the Los Angeles airport.
There are free weekday tours of the beautifully detailed building at 10 and 11, which sometimes include a visit to the observation deck. Reservations required or you can do a self-guide tour without a docent.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
AN INTOXICATING BIRTHDAY VISIT TO NAPA
For my Mom’s 49th birthday, my younger twin sisters, Ainsley and Bailey, and I decided to hire a limo and driver for a day tour to Napa. Read more
So this was my first trip to the USA. Read more
My friends and I from Germany will be traveling to Los Angeles, California, in March and April. However, we will not have a car (too young to rent). We would like to visit Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more