- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Review
With spectacular buildings such as a Romanesque library, the parklike UCLA campus makes for a fine stroll through one of California's most prestigious universities. In the heart of the north campus, the Franklin Murphy Sculpture Garden contains more than 70 works by artists such as Henry Moore and Gaston Lachaise. The Mildred E. Mathias Botanic Garden, which contains some 5,000 species of plants from all over the world in a 7-acre outdoor garden, is in the southeast section of the campus and is accessible from Tiverton Avenue. West of the main-campus bookstore, the J.D. Morgan Center and Athletic Hall of Fame displays the sports memorabilia and trophies of the university's athletic departments and championship teams.
Campus maps and information are available at drive-by kiosks at major entrances daily, and free 90-minute walking tours of the campus are given most weekdays at 10:15 and 2:15, and Saturday at 10:15. Call 310/825-8764 for reservations, which are required three to four weeks in advance. The campus has cafés, plus bookstores selling UCLA Bruins paraphernalia. The main-entrance gate is on Westwood Boulevard. Campus parking costs $11.
Fowler Museum at UCLA. Many visitors head straight to the Fowler Museum at UCLA, which presents exhibits on the world's diverse cultures and visual arts, especially those of Africa, Asia, the Pacific, and Native and Latin America. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5 and Thursday until 8 pm. 310/825-4361. www.fowler.ucla.edu. Free, parking $11, use lot 4 off Sunset Blvd.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $116 & up -- Anaheim Hotels near Disney, Save 40% BookIt.com
- $72-$96 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, $100 Off BookIt.com
- $8.97 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $189 -- 4-Star Hotel in Downtown L.A., Save 45% — $189 Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
- $229-$259 -- LA: Weekends at 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 25% — $229-$259 JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live
Visiting California from Atlanta, I planned an outing for my friend and I, her two kids (11 and 13) and my three kids (12,9,6)
Ferry over Friday morning from Dana Point was a bit rocky but fun.
We arrived Read more
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
we will be disembarking in Los Angeles from a cruise in January. Read more
· News & Features
Need we say more? ... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more