- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Review
With spectacular buildings such as a Romanesque library, the parklike UCLA campus makes for a fine stroll through one of California's most prestigious universities. In the heart of the north campus, the Franklin Murphy Sculpture Garden contains more than 70 works of artists such as Henry Moore and Gaston Lachaise. The Mildred E. Mathias Botanic Garden, which contains some 5,000 species of plants from all over the world in a 7-acre outdoor garden, is in the southeast section of the campus and is accessible from Tiverton Avenue. West of the main-campus bookstore, the J.D. Morgan Center and Athletic Hall of Fame displays the sports memorabilia and trophies of the university's athletic departments and championship teams.
Campus maps and information are available at drive-by kiosks at major entrances daily, and free 90-minute walking tours of the campus are given most weekdays at 10:15 and 2:15 and Saturday at 10:15. Call 310/825-8764 for reservations, which are required three to four weeks in advance. The campus has cafés, plus bookstores selling UCLA Bruins paraphernalia. The main-entrance gate is on Westwood Boulevard. Campus parking costs $11.
Fowler Museum at UCLA. Many visitors head straight to the Fowler Museum at UCLA, which presents exhibits on the world's diverse cultures and visual arts, especially those of Africa, Asia, the Pacific, and Native and Latin America. The museum is open Wednesday-Sunday noon-5, Thursday until 8 pm. 310/825-4361. www.fowler.ucla.edu. Free, parking $11, use lot 4 off Sunset Blvd.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% Expedia
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills
- $116 -- Los Angeles: 4-Star Hollywood Hotel — $116 Hotwire.com
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
I’m just going to state the nitty-gritty to keep this post short. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more