- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Farmers Market and The Grove
Farmers Market and The Grove Review
The granddaddy of L.A. markets dates to 1935, and the amazing array of clapboard stalls (selling everything from candy to hot sauce, fresh fruit to fresh lamb), wacky regulars, and a United Nations of food choices must be experienced to be appreciated.
Employees from the nearby CBS studios mingle with hungover clubbers and elderly locals at dozens of eateries, movie theaters, and shops under one huge roof. The green trolley shuttles visitors between the Farmers Market and the nearby Grove, a wildly popular outdoor mall with an ersatz European feel and a fabulous people-watching scene.
Although many of the stores are familiar in any mall (Nordstrom, Abercrombie & Fitch, the Apple Store, American Girl Place), the elaborate setting with cheerful winding tile walkways, the central fountain that has "dancing" water choreographed to music, and during the holidays even man-made "snow" (!) that falls accompanied by holiday music, put this shopping center over the top.
Oh, and if you happen to be in the Glendale area of Los Angeles, the same development team that brought you this temple to shopping and the easy-breezy outdoor California lifestyle opened a bright, shiny complex called the Americana at Brand that is very similar.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $189 -- 4-Star Hotel in Downtown L.A., Save 45% Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
- $229-$259 -- LA: Weekends at 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 25% JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live
- $8.97 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $103-$116 -- All-Suite Hotel near Manhattan Beach w/Wi-Fi — $103-$116 TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
- $99 -- Weekends at Los Angeles Airport Hotel, Save 45% — $99 Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
Dear fellow Fodorites, seeking recommendations for a centrally located LA hotel close to all the major sights. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more