- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County Review
The completed renovation of the museum's 1913 Beaux Arts building sets the stage for new visitor experiences leading up to the centennial in 2013.
In summer 2011 the new Dinosaur Hall opened, featuring more than 300 fossils, 20 full-body specimens, manual and digital interactivity, and large-format video, as well as a T. rex series that includes adult, juvenile, and baby specimens. At press time, an exhibit focusing on the natural and cultural history of Southern California dating from prehistoric times to modern-day Hollywood was expected to open in late 2012.
The museum has the same quaint feel of many natural history museums, with enclosed dioramas of animals in their natural habitats. But it mixes it up with interactive displays such as a seasonal Butterfly Pavilion in a separate small building in front of the museum; The Discovery Center, where kids can touch real animal pelts; the Insect Zoo; and their Dino Lab, where you can watch actual paleontologists work on dinosaur fossils.
In addition, there are also exhibits typifying various cultural groups, including pre-Columbian artifacts and a display of crafts from the South Pacific as well as marine-life exhibits.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $294 -- LA Oceanfront Hotel near Santa Monica Pier, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
I’m just going to state the nitty-gritty to keep this post short. Read more
Following a conference in Corte Madera the end of June, DH and I will be spending the first 8 days of July in northern CA/Redwood area and at Lassen Volcano. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the ... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more