- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Southern California 2014
Richard J. Riordan Central Library
Richard J. Riordan Central Library Review
It's still known locally as the Central Library—but after fires in the 1980s precipitated reconstruction, it's become the nation's third largest public library. The original building, designed by Bertram Goodhue, was restored to its 1926 condition, with the pyramid tower and a torch symbolizing the Light of Learning crowning the building.
The mega-size of this library can be overwhelming with several floors and departments. The Cook rotunda on the second floor features murals by Dean Cornwell depicting the history of California, and the Tom Bradley Wing, named for another mayor, has a soaring eight-story atrium.
The library offers frequent events and special exhibits, plus a small café to refuel. For $50 out-of-towners may apply for a one-year visitor's card by showing a valid ID to check out books. Don't ignore the gift shop, which is loaded with unique items for readers and writers.
- Address: 630 W. 5th St., at Flower St. Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 90071 | Map It
- Phone: 213/228–7000; 213/228–7168 for tour information
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Sunday & Monday: Closed Tues. &Thurs. 10–8, Wed., Fri. and Sat. 10–5:30; Free docent tours are given daily. Call (213) 228-7168; Daily on-hour Walk-In Tours of the Central Library Tues. - Fri. at 12:30, Sat. at 11 and 2, and Sun. at 2. A self-guided tour map is also available on library's website.
- Website: www.lapl.org
- Location: Downtown Los Angeles
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just returned from a very short but very enjoyable trip to San Diego, La Jolla, and Del Mar. Read more
Some up front info:
Dates: March 10-25, 2014
3 nights, Glorietta Bay Inn, Coronado
3 nights Borrego Valley Inn, Borrego Springs
3 nights Embassy Suites, Palm Desert
3 nights Embassy Suites, Read more
Could someone recommend a quaint hotel, motel, in Santa Barbara, Ca for 2 adults that we can walk to from the train station and near the beach. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more