- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Richard J. Riordan Central Library
Richard J. Riordan Central Library Review
It's still known locally as the Central Library—but after fires in the 1980s precipitated reconstruction, it's become the nation's third largest public library. The original building, designed by Bertram Goodhue, was restored to its 1926 condition, with the pyramid tower and a torch symbolizing the Light of Learning crowning the building.
The mega-size of this library can be overwhelming with several floors and departments. The Cook rotunda on the second floor features murals by Dean Cornwell depicting the history of California, and the Tom Bradley Wing, named for another mayor, has a soaring eight-story atrium.
The library offers frequent events and special exhibits, plus a small café to refuel. For $50 out-of-towners may apply for a one-year visitor's card by showing a valid ID to check out books. Don't ignore the gift shop, which is loaded with unique items for readers and writers.
- Address: 630 W. 5th St., at Flower St., Downtown, Los Angeles, CA, 90071 | Map It
- Phone: 213/228-7000; 213/228-7168 for tour information
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Sunday & Monday: Closed Tues. &Thurs. 10--8, Wed., Fri. and Sat. 10--5:30; Free docent tours are given daily. Call (213) 228-7168; Daily on-hour Walk-In Tours of the Central Library Tues. - Fri. at 12:30, Sat. at 11 and 2, and Sun. at 2. A self-guided tour map is also available on library's website.
- Website: www.lapl.org
- Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $157-$197 -- LA: Suite at 4-Star Hotel w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $53-$76 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, 70% Off BookIt.com
- $8.56 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
I’m just going to state the nitty-gritty to keep this post short. Read more
We (husband and 6 yr old son) will be flying to Seattle on July 4th, staying the weekend. Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more