- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Southern California 2014
California Science Center
California Science Center Review
You're bound to see excited kids running up to the dozens of interactive exhibits here that illustrate the relevance of science to everyday life, from bacteria to airplanes. Clustered in different "Worlds," this center provides opportunities to examine such topics as structures and communications. Be an architect and design your own building and learn how to make it earthquake-proof, or watch Tess, the 50-foot animatronic star of the exhibit "Body Works," dramatically demonstrate how the body's organs work together. Air and Space Exhibits show what it takes to go to outer space with Gemini 11, a real capsule flown into space by Pete Conrad and Dick Gordon in September 1966. An IMAX theater shows large-format releases.
New in 2013, the museum is now home to NASA's Space Shuttle Endeavor. The Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, which will be the shuttle's permanent home, is currently under construction, but visitors can view the spacecraft (as well as view exhibits about it) in the temporary Endeavor Display Pavilion. You will need a timed ticket to view the space craft; see the website for details.
- Address: 700 State Dr., Exposition Park, Los Angeles, CA 90037 | Map It
- Phone: 213/744–7400; 323/724–3623
- Cost: Free, except for Endeavor timed ticket ($2–$3 service fee if purchased online or by phone) and IMAX (prices vary); parking $10
- Hours: Daily 10–5
- Website: www.californiasciencecenter.org
- Location: Downtown Los Angeles
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
My family and I are going to spend time in California this summer. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more