Los Angeles Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Snacking at the Market
The landmark Los Angeles Farmers Market, at the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue, is crammed with delicious food from all corners of the globe. Most spots are fast-food-style eateries sharing a common seating area—good for people-watching. An authentic croque monsieur sandwich, as well as crepes both savory and sweet, are available at the French Crepe Company (323/934-3113 www.frenchcrepe.com). You can find more French specialties like coq au vin or beef bourguignon at the cozy, sit-down Monsieur Marcel (323/939-7792 www.mrmarcel.com) wine bar and bistro. For a taste of the Mediterranean, stop by Ulysses Voyage (323/939-9728 www.ulyssesvoyage.com), another full-service charmer, for classics like spanakopita and moussaka. Some of the city's best tacos, wrapped in freshly made tortillas, are found at Lotería! Grill Hollywood (323/930-2211 www.loteriagrill.com), and folks line up for the bold flavors of Louisiana—including decent jambalaya and one of the few authentic New Orleans-style muffuletta sandwiches in L.A.—at the Gumbo Pot (323/933-0358 www.thegumbopotla.com). Bob's Coffee & Doughnuts (323/933-8929) is legendary for its raspberry-filled bismarck donuts, and some of L.A.'s most beloved pies are peddled at Du-par's (323/933-8446).
The original spirit of the Farmers Market has been preserved despite the aggressive development of some adjoining commercial property. At The Grove shopping center next door, restaurants include Morels (323/965-9595), a French bistro and steak house with a winning patio, and La Piazza (323/933-5050 www.lapiazzaonline.com), where thin-crusted pizzas are the best bet. Also adjacent to the Farmers Market is Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill (323/937-6800 www.woodranch.com), where hordes of devotees line up at the door for heaping portions of ribs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $294 -- LA Oceanfront Hotel near Santa Monica Pier, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills