- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Planning Your Time
Visit weekdays during the day, when the area is bustling and restaurants are open for lunch. It's easy to find street parking on weekends, but with the exception of Chinatown, L.A. Live, Olvera Street, and destination-bars such as The Edison at night, the area shuts down.
Seeing everything in one day is possible, but it's best to spread it out over two. For art lovers, the Museum of Contemporary Art, MOCA at the Geffen Contemporary, the African American Museum, the Japanese American Museum, and the Chinese American Museum are worthy of more than just a pass-through.
Plan your visits around specific areas you can walk to in one circuit. Parking lots run $4-$12 so if you're on a budget, you don't want to be moving your car around too much.
The entertainment industry loves to use Downtown for movie backdrops, so when film crews take over entire blocks for shooting, traffic jams up in every direction.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe