- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
High Camp. The Granite Chief Wilderness and the high peaks surrounding Olympic Valley are accessible by foot, but save yourself a 2,000-foot elevation gain by riding the Squaw Valley Aerial Tram to High Camp, the starting point for several hikes. Pick up trail maps at the tram building. High Camp offers sunset hikes in summer, and full moon hikes in winter. Olympic Valley, CA. 800/402–0206. www.squaw.com.
Olympic Ice Pavilion. Ice-skate here from late November to mid-March. A ride up the mountain in the Aerial Tram costs $29, plus $12 for skate rental and one hour of skate time. End your outing in the hot tub ($10). In summer, the pavilion converts into a roller-skating rink. Year-round, you get fabulous views of the lake and the Sierra Nevada. 1960 Squaw Valley Rd., High Camp, Squaw Valley, Olympic Valley, CA, 96146. 800/403–0206. www.squaw.com.
Squaw Valley Adventure Center. Next to the Olympic Village Lodge, on the far side of the creek, this activities center has an 18-hole miniature golf course, a ropes course, and sometimes a bungee trampoline, a blast for kids. 1960 Squaw Valley Rd., Olympic Valley, CA, 96146. 530/583–7673. www.squawadventure.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe