The park is mostly roadless wilderness. Elevation in some areas of the park approaches 6,000 feet, and light snowfalls and cold, strong north winds are common in winter. There are no services within the park and little water, so you should carry at least a gallon of water per person per day. Apply sunscreen liberally at any time of the year. Carry a cell phone for emergencies, but know that service is not very reliable.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's