Cottonwood Spring Review
Home to the native Cahuilla people for centuries, this spring provided water for travelers and early prospectors. The area, which supports a large stand of fan palms, is a stop for migrating birds and a winter water source for bighorn sheep. A number of gold mines were located here, and the area still has some remains, including an arrastra (gold-mining tool) and concrete pillars. You can access the site via a 1-mile paved trail that begins at sites 13A and 13B of the Cottonwood Campground.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109 -- Palm Springs Spa Retreat thru October, Reg. $249 Andreas Hotel & Spa
- $99-$103 -- California: Palm Springs Resort, 60% Off The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa
- $123-131 -- All-Suite Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast — $123-$131 Staybridge Suites Anaheim Resort Area
Visiting California from Atlanta, I planned an outing for my friend and I, her two kids (11 and 13) and my three kids (12,9,6)
Ferry over Friday morning from Dana Point was a bit rocky but fun.
We arrived Read more
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
My wife and I have been tossing around travel ideas for Veterans Day weekend, and we're seriously considering a trip to Death Valley. Read more
· News & Features
Tired of the same ol' tropical getaways?... Read more
What exactly is Joshua Tree?... Read more
Less than 30 miles from the center of Palm Springs, this arid wilderness starkly contrasts with the neighboring... Read more