When to Go
When to Go
Channel Islands National Park records about 620,000 visitors each year, but many never venture beyond the visitor center. The busiest times are holidays and summer weekends. If you're going then, make your transportation and accommodation arrangements far in advance.
The warm, dry summer months are the best time to go camping. Humpback and blue whales arrive to feed from late June through early fall. The rains usually come from December through March—but this is also the best time to spot gray whales and to get discounts at area hotels. In the late spring, thousands of migratory birds descend on the islands to hatch their young, and wildflowers carpet the slopes. The water temperature is nearly always cool, so bring a wet suit if you plan to spend much time in the ocean, even in the summer. Fog, high winds, and rough seas can happen any time of the year.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129* & up -- Premium Economy in Summer to LA, One Way Virgin America
- $116 & up -- Anaheim Hotels near Disney, Save 40% BookIt.com
- $72-$96 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, $100 Off BookIt.com
- $8.97 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $189 -- 4-Star Hotel in Downtown L.A., Save 45% — $189 Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel