- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Colossal Cave Mountain Park
Colossal Cave Mountain Park Review
This limestone grotto 20 mi east of Tucson is the largest dry cavern in the world. Guides discuss the fascinating crystal formations and relate the many romantic tales surrounding the cave, including the legend that an enormous sum of money stolen in a stagecoach robbery is hidden here.
Forty-five-minute cave tours begin every 30 minutes and require a 0.5-mi walk and climbing 363 steps. The park includes a ranch area with trail rides ($30 per hour), a gemstone-sluicing area, a small museum, a desert tortoise habitat, nature trails, a butterfly garden, a snack bar, and a gift shop. Parking is $5 per vehicle. Take Broadway Boulevard or 22nd Street east to Old Spanish Trail.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My husband, adult son and I just took a 7 day trip in a loop from/back to Albuquerque. Read more
I wasn’t going to use write this as a trip report but some of our experiences were so great, I really want to share. Read more
We (two 50ish couples) are booked at Phantom Ranch for one night in mid-February. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more