- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Northwest Tucson and Westside
Once a vast, open space dotted with horse ranches, Northwest Tucson is now a rapidly growing residential area encompassing the townships of Oro Valley and Marana. Families and retirees are moving here in droves, and the traffic congestion proves the point, but you'll also find first-rate golf resorts and restaurants here, as well as the oases of Tohono Chul Park and Catalina State Park, which calm the senses.
The Westside is far less developed, and beautiful vistas of saguaro-studded hills are around every bend. Saguaro National Park West, the Desert Museum, Old Tucson Studios, and the San Xavier mission are all in this section of town. If you're interested in the flora and fauna of the Sonoran Desert—as well as some of its appearances in the cinema—heed the same advice given the pioneers: go west.
Northwest Tucson and Westside at a Glance
Elsewhere in Tucson
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe