Arizona state sales tax (called a transaction privilege tax), which applies to all purchases except food in grocery stores, is 6.6%. Individual counties and municipalities then add their own sales taxes, which add another few percentage points. Phoenix and Tucson both levy city sales taxes of 2%, and Flagstaff taxes purchases at a rate of 1.72%. When added to county taxes, the total sales tax in Phoenix goes up to 9.3%; in Tucson, to 9.1%; and in Flagstaff, to 9.4%. Total sales taxes throughout the state range from 7.6% to 10.6%. Sales taxes don't apply on Indian reservations.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's