Amtrak's Southwest Chief operates daily between Los Angeles and Chicago, stopping in Needles, CA (near the Arizona border), Kingman, Williams Junction (from which bus transfers are available to the scenic Grand Canyon Railway), Flagstaff, Winslow, and Gallup, NM (near the Arizona border). The Sunset Limited travels three times each week between Los Angeles and New Orleans, with stops at Yuma, Maricopa (about 25 miles south of Phoenix), Tucson, and Benson. There's a connecting bus (a three-hour trip) between Flagstaff and Phoenix.
Amtrak (800/872–7245. www.amtrak.com.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe