- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Safety and Precautions
Be aware that Organ Pipe has become an illegal border crossing hot spot. Migrant workers and drug traffickers cross from Mexico under the cover of darkness. At this writing, much of Puerto Blanco Drive is closed indefinitely to the public. A two-way road that only travels 5 of the 53 miles on Puerto Blanco Drive is open, but the rest of the road remains closed due to continuing concerns over its proximity to the U.S.–Mexico border. Even so, park officials emphasize that tourists only occasionally have been the victims of isolated property crimes—primarily theft of personal items from parked cars. Visitors are advised by rangers to keep valuables locked and out of plain view and not to initiate contact with groups of strangers whom they may encounter on hiking trails.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's