- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Side Trips Near PhoenixView Map
There are a number of interesting sights within a 1- to 1½-hour drive of Phoenix. To the north, the thriving artist communities of Carefree and Cave Creek are popular Western attractions. Arcosanti and Wickenburg are half- or full-day trips from Phoenix. Stop along the way to visit the petroglyphs of Deer Valley Rock Art Center and the reenactments of Arizona territorial life at the Pioneer Living History Village. You also might consider Lake Pleasant, Arcosanti, and Wickenburg as stopovers on the way to or from Flagstaff, Prescott, or Sedona.
South of Phoenix, an hour's drive takes you back to prehistoric times and the site of Arizona's first known civilization at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, a vivid reminder of the Hohokam who began farming this area more than 1,500 years ago.
Side Trips Near Phoenix at a Glance
Places To Explore
- Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
- Cave Creek Museum
- Deer Valley Rock Art Center
- Desert Caballeros Western Museum
Elsewhere in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's