- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arizona State University
Arizona State University Review
What began as the Tempe Normal School for Teachers—in 1886 a four-room redbrick building and 20-acre cow pasture—is now the 750-acre Tempe campus of ASU, the largest university in the Southwest. The university now has four campuses located across the Valley. As you walk around campus, you'll wind past public art and innovative architecture—including a music building that bears a strong resemblance to a wedding cake, designed by Taliesin students to echo Frank Lloyd Wright's Gammage Auditorium, and a law library shaped like an open book—and end up at the impressive 71,706-seat Sun Devil Stadium.
Arizona State University Art Museum. While touring the west end of campus, stop in the Arizona State University Art Museum. It's in the gray-purple stucco Nelson Fine Arts Center, just north of Gammage Auditorium. For a relatively small museum, it has an extensive collection, including 19th- and 20th-century painting and sculpture by masters such as Winslow Homer, Edward Hopper, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Rockwell Kent. Works by faculty and student artists are also on display, and there's a gift shop. Mill Ave. and 10th St., 85287. 480/965-2787. asuartmuseum.asu.edu. Free. No credit cards. Tues. 11-8, Wed.-Sat. 11-5. Closed Sun. and Mon. Summer hrs vary.
ASU Memorial Union. Stop here for maps of a self-guided walking tour of the Tempe campus. It's a long walk from Mill Avenue. 1290 S. Normal Ave., 85287. 480/965-5728.
Sun Devil Stadium. Home to the school's Sun Devils, this stadium is carved out of a mountain and cradled between the Tempe buttes. ASU Campus, 5th St., 85281. 480/965-9011.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Phoenix All-Suite Resort w/Waterpark, 40% Off Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
- $85-$110 -- Phoenix: Studio Suite at Golf Resort, 30% Off Legacy Golf Resort
- $29.99 -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Phoenix Sixt Rent a Car
- $74-$91 -- Scottsdale Golf Resort incl. Weekends, Save 40% — $74-$91 Orange Tree Golf Resort
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $109 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more