Four-Wheeling in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Taking a jeep through the backcountry has become a popular way to experience the desert's saguaro-covered mountains and curious rock formations. Prices start at around $100 per person.
Desert Dog Hummer Adventures. This operator heads out on half- and full-day Humvee tours to the Four Peaks Wilderness Area in Tonto National Forest and the Sonoran Desert. U-Drive desert cars and ATV tours are also available. 17212 E. Shea Blvd., Fountain Hills, AZ, 85268. 480/837–3966. www.azadventures.com.
Desert Storm Hummer Tours. These four-hour nature tours climb 4,000 feet up the rugged trails of Tonto National Forest via Hummer. 15525 N. 83rd Way, No. 8, North Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ. 480/922–0020 or. www.dshummer.com.
Wayward Wind Tours. This operator ventures down to the Verde River on its own trail and offers wilderness cookouts for large groups. 2418 E. Danbury St., Phoenix, AZ, 85032. 602/867–7825 or 800/804–0480. www.waywardwindtours.com.
Wild West Jeep Tours. Special permits allow Wild West Jeep Tours to conduct four-wheeler excursions in the Tonto National Forest, which, in addition to a wild ride, lets you also visit visit thousand-year-old Indian sites. 7127 E. Becker La., Suite 74, Scottsdale, AZ, 85254. 480/922–0144. www.wildwestjeeptours.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's