The visitor center, museum, and overlooks on the scenic drive are wheelchair accessible. All trails are paved, and all are accessible except Blue Mesa, which is very steep. For more information, call the park switchboard at 928/524-6228.
Admission Fees and Permits
Entrance fees are $10 per car for seven consecutive days or $5 per person on foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or bus. Permits are required for backcountry hiking and camping, and are free (limit of 15 days) at Painted Desert Visitor Center or the Rainbow Forest Museum before 4 pm.
The park is open daily 7 am-7 pm late May through early September and daily 8 am-5 pm from early September through late May. The park is in the mountain time zone.
Park Contact Information
Petrified Forest National Park (1 Park Rd., Petrified Forest, AZ, 86028. 928/524–6228. www.nps.gov/pefo.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's