The visitor center, museum, and overlooks on the scenic drive are wheelchair accessible. All trails are paved, and all are accessible except Blue Mesa, which is very steep. For more information, call the park switchboard at 928/524-6228.
Admission Fees and Permits
Entrance fees are $10 per car for seven consecutive days or $5 per person on foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or bus. Permits are required for backcountry hiking and camping, and are free (limit of 15 days) at Painted Desert Visitor Center or the Rainbow Forest Museum before 4 pm.
The park is open daily 7 am-7 pm late May through early September and daily 8 am-5 pm from early September through late May. The park is in the mountain time zone.
Park Contact Information
Petrified Forest National Park (1 Park Rd., Petrified Forest, AZ, 86028. 928/524-6228. www.nps.gov/pefo.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Flagstaff: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $141+/Nt Expedia
- Knights Inn Flagstaff on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $74+/Nt Expedia
- $20.95 & up : Economy rentals in Flagstaff Hotwire
- Book 3.5-Star Woodlands Fr $178+/Nt — $178 Expedia
- $21.95 & up : Compact rentals in Flagstaff — $22 Hotwire