Petrified Forest National Park Travel Guide
Petrified logs scattered about a vast pink-hued lunarlike landscape resemble a fairy-tale forest turned to stone at Petrified Forest National Park. The park's 218,533 acres, which include portions of the Painted Desert, are covered with petrified tree trunks whose wood cells were fossilized over centuries by brightly hued mineral deposits—silica, iron oxide, carbon, manganese, aluminum, copper, and lithium. The park holds plenty of other fossils; remnants of humans and their artifacts have been recovered at more than 500 sites in the park.
There is no lodging within Petrified Forest. Outside the park, lodging choices include modern resorts, rustic cabins, and small bed-and-breakfasts. Note...read more
Dining in the park is limited to a cafeteria in the Painted Desert Visitor Center and snacks in the Rainbow Forest Museum. In and around the Navajo and...read more
Things To Do in Petrified Forest National Park
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Flagstaff Savings! Book at Rodeway Inn & Suites Fr $111+/Nt Save with Expedia, $25/night less
- Jun deal: Super 8 Flagstaff I-40 Ex 198 Lucky Lane Fr $144+/Nt Expedia
- Unbeatable Price: 4 Nts Rodeway Inn + Air Fr $457 Expedia
- $17.95 & up : Economy rentals in Flagstaff Hotwire
- Econo Lodge Flagstaff University in Jun: $136 & Up — $136 Expedia
Terrific timber: Be mesmerized by the clusters of petrified (fossilized) wood. The trees look like they're made of colorful stone.... Read more
Engelmann asters and sunflowers are among the blooms in the park each summer. Juniper trees, cottonwoods, and willows grow along Puerco River... Read more
Like some other historic sites in eastern Arizona, Petrified Forest National Park is a great place to view petroglyphs and pictographs—designs... Read more
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hi Fodor's Forums!
I would appreciate advice for our itinerary plans for our holiday to California and Arizona August 2014.
Yes I know Arizona will be HOT but we have no choice but go then due to our kid's Read more