Keams Canyon Trading Post
The trading post established by Thomas Keam in 1875 to do business with local tribes is now the area’s main tourist attraction, offering a primitive campground, restaurant, service station, and shopping center, all set in a dramatic rocky canyon. An administrative center for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Keams Canyon also has a number of government buildings. A road, accessible by passenger car, winds northeast 3 miles into the 8-mile wooded canyon. At Inscription Rock, about 2 miles down the road, frontiersman Kit Carson engraved his name in stone. There are several picnic spots in the canyon.