The trading post established by Thomas Keam in 1875 to do business with local tribes is now the area’s main tourist attraction, offering a primitive campground, restaurant, service station, and shopping center, all set in a dramatic rocky canyon. An administrative center for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Keams Canyon also has a number of government buildings. A road, accessible by passenger car, winds northeast 3 miles into the 8-mile wooded canyon. At Inscription Rock, about 2 miles down the road, frontiersman Kit Carson engraved his name in stone. There are several picnic spots in the canyon.
When there was every reason in the world to stay away and see the ruins, one woman traveled to Greece to get to work.More