- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Meteor Crater Review
A natural phenomenon in a privately owned park 43 miles east of Flagstaff, Meteor Crater is impressive if for no other reason than its sheer size. A hole in the ground 600 feet deep, nearly 1 mile across, and more than 3 miles in circumference, Meteor Crater is large enough to accommodate the Washington Monument or 20 football fields. It was created by a meteorite crash 49,000 years ago. The area looks so much like the surface of the moon that NASA made it one of the official training sites for the Project Apollo astronauts.
You can't descend into the crater because of the efforts of its owners to maintain its condition—scientists consider this to be the best-preserved crater on Earth—but guided rim tours, given every hour on the hour 9-2, give useful background information. There's a sandwich shop on site, and the Rock Shop sells specimens from the area and jewelry made from native stones. Take Interstate 40 east of Flagstaff to Exit 233, then drive 6 miles south on Meteor Crater Road.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Sonesta ES Suites Flagstaff Fr $140+/Nt Expedia
- Flagstaff Savings! Book at Little America Flagstaff Fr $185+/Nt Expedia
- $21.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Flagstaff Hotwire
- Book the Super 8 I-40 Flagstaff Mall 3 Nts in May Fr $123+/Nt — $123 Expedia
- $23.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Flagstaff — $24 Hotwire
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more