- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Northern Arizona University Observatory
Northern Arizona University Observatory Review
This observatory was built in 1952 by Dr. Arthur Adel, a scientist at Lowell Observatory whose study of infrared astronomy pioneered research into molecules that absorb light passing through Earth's atmosphere. Today's studies of Earth's shrinking ozone layer rely on some of Dr. Adel's early work. Visitors to the observatory—which houses one of the largest research-grade telescopes that the public is allowed to move and manipulate—are usually hosted by friendly students and faculty members of the university's Department of Physics and Astronomy. Dr. Adel's 24-inch telescope—the first infrared scope—is also on display.
- Address: Bldg. 47, Northern Arizona Campus Observatory, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, S. San Francisco St., just north of Walkup Skydome, University, Flagstaff, AZ, 86001 | Map It
- Phone: 928/523-7170
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Viewings Fri. 7:30--10 pm, weather permitting
- Website: www.physics.nau.edu
- Location: Flagstaff
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Forest Villas on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: SpringHill Suites Prescott Fr $179+/Nt Expedia
- $28.00 & up : Full Size rentals in Prescott Hotwire
- Hampton Inn Prescott in May: $137 & Up — $137 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- $24.00 & up : Midsize rentals in Prescott — $24 Hotwire
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more