This observatory was built in 1952 by Dr. Arthur Adel, a scientist at Lowell Observatory whose study of infrared astronomy pioneered research into molecules that absorb light passing through Earth's atmosphere. Today's studies of Earth's shrinking ozone layer rely on some of Dr. Adel's early work. Visitors to the observatory—which houses one of the largest research-grade telescopes that the public is allowed to move and manipulate—are usually hosted by friendly students
and faculty members of the university's Department of Physics and Astronomy. Dr. Adel's 24-inch telescope—the first infrared scope—is also on display.
Bldg. 47, Northern Arizona Campus Observatory, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, S. San Francisco St., just north of Walkup Skydome, Flagstaff, Arizona, 86001, United States