- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dead Horse Ranch State Park
Dead Horse Ranch State Park Review
The 423-acre spread of Dead Horse Ranch State Park, which combines high-desert and wetlands habitats, is a pleasant place to while away the day. You can fish in the Verde River or the well-stocked Park Lagoon, or hike on some 6 miles of trails that begin in a shaded picnic area and wind along the river; adjoining forest service pathways are available for those who enjoy longer treks. Birders can check off more than 100 species from the Arizona Audubon Society lists provided by the rangers. Bald eagles perch along the Verde River in winter, and the common black hawks—a misnomer for these threatened birds—nest here in summer. Campsites are also available (reserve by phone or online). The park is 1 mile north of Cottonwood, off Main Street.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Howard Johnson Inn Flagstaff Fr $87+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 3-Star Hilton Garden Inn - Flagstaff: $166 & Up in May Expedia
- $25.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Flagstaff Hotwire
- Travelodge Flagstaff - NAU Conference Center in May: $95 & Up — $95 Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- $23.95 & up : Economy rentals in Flagstaff — $24 Hotwire
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant, ... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more