- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Submarine Rock Review
This elongated vessel of a rock has an interesting shape, but isn't as photogenic as others in the area: nestled in the canyon and colored in beige tones, it doesn't catch the sunlight in the same way. Getting to Submarine Rock, though, is more interesting than seeing it. You can drive up FR 179F, a very technical jeep trail that should be attempted only by highly skilled off-road-vehicle drivers, or you can take a jeep tour offered in town.
For experienced mountain bikers, Broken Arrow Trail, used heavily by cyclists and hikers, rolls across washes, red clay, and large mounds of slickrock. The 2-mile hike is moderate but best done in the early morning in summer. Note that Submarine Rock is not the best retreat for serenity seekers: the rock abuts the jeep trail, which is clogged with tour jeeps revving over the rugged terrain.
- Address: End of Morgan Rd., off AZ 179, Central, Sedona, AZ, 86336
- Location: Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Prescott for Less: Hotels Fr $84+/Nt Travelocity
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Econo Lodge Prescott Fr $70+/Nt Expedia
- $22.50 & up : Economy rentals in Prescott Hotwire
- Look no Further! Prescott Hotels Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Travelocity
- $23.75 & up : Compact rentals in Prescott — $24 Hotwire
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the ... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more