- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Arizona & the Grand Canyon 2014
Submarine Rock Review
This elongated vessel of a rock has an interesting shape, but isn't as photogenic as others in the area: nestled in the canyon and colored in beige tones, it doesn't catch the sunlight in the same way. Getting to Submarine Rock, though, is more interesting than seeing it. You can drive up FR 179F, a very technical jeep trail that should be attempted only by highly skilled off-road-vehicle drivers, or you can take a jeep tour offered in town.
For experienced mountain bikers, Broken Arrow Trail, used heavily by cyclists and hikers, rolls across washes, red clay, and large mounds of slickrock. The 2-mile hike is moderate but best done in the early morning in summer. Note that Submarine Rock is not the best retreat for serenity seekers: the rock abuts the jeep trail, which is clogged with tour jeeps revving over the rugged terrain.
- Address: End of Morgan Rd., off AZ 179, Central, Sedona, AZ 86336
- Location: Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In April 2013, my husband and I did a Utah and Arizona Grand Circle tour-covering the Grand Canyon, the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, Natural Bridges National Monument, The Needles and the Island Read more
My husband and I recently joined my sister and her husband for a wonderful overnight hike in the Grand Canyon. Read more
Hi, we are planning a trip to Grand Canyon in August. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more