- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The most direct route to Prescott from Phoenix is to take Interstate 17 north for 60 miles to Cordes Junction and then drive northwest on AZ 69 for 36 miles into town. Interstate 17, a four-lane divided highway, has several steep inclines and descents (complete with a number of runaway-truck ramps), but it's generally an easy and scenic thoroughfare.
Prescott Municipal Airport is 8 miles north of town on U.S. 89. United Airlines affiliate Great Lakes Airlines offers service to Prescott Municipal Airport from Los Angeles and Denver.
The city's main drag is Gurley Street, which AZ 69 turns into from the east. You can usually find street parking along Gurley or on the side streets as you approach town; or use the free public garage on Granite Street, between Gurley and Goodwin. Most of the town's Victorian neighborhoods, shops, and restaurants, best explored on foot, are within walking distance of the Courthouse Plaza, sitting just off Gurley Street on Montezuma. Art galleries and saloons line Cortez and Montezuma streets to the north and west of the courthouse. The Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center is on Goodwin Street, across from the courthouse and next to the post office.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe