- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- only inner-canyon lodging option
- fabulous canyon views
- remote access limits crowds
- accessible only by foot or mule
- few amenities or means of outside communication
Phantom Ranch Review
In a grove of cottonwood trees on the canyon floor, Phantom Ranch is accessible only to hikers and mule trekkers; there are 40 dormitory beds and 14 beds in cabins, all with shared baths. The wood-and-stone buildings originally made up a hunting camp built in 1922. Additional cabins are reserved for mule riders, who buy their trips as a package. The mess hall–style restaurant, one of the most remote eating establishments in the United States, serves family-style dinners (purchased separately); breakfast and box lunches are also available. Reservations, taken up to 13 months in advance, are a must for services and lodging.
- Address: On canyon floor, at intersection of Bright Angel and Kaibab trails, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ | Map It
- Phone: 303/297–2757; 888/297–2757
- Website: www.grandcanyonlodges.com
- Location: Grand Canyon South Rim
- 4 dormitories and 9 cabins (some cabins with outside showers reserved for mule riders).
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My husband, adult son and I just took a 7 day trip in a loop from/back to Albuquerque. Read more
I wasn’t going to use write this as a trip report but some of our experiences were so great, I really want to share. Read more
We are thinking of driving from pa to arizona to spend about 3 weeks there. Read more
· News & Features
For 17 days in 2012, admission to more than 100 of the country's National Parks will be free.... Read more
Planning a family National Park trip this summer?...... Read more
From blazing sunsets to gigantic caverns full of bats, here's where to find the magic of the Southwest...... Read more