- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Eastern Arizona is a large, somewhat loosely defined series of small towns and historic sites along the Mogollon Rim. Pronounced "muh-gee-on," the rim is a 200-mile-long area of volcanic and sedimentary rock that marks a distinct change in topography of the state. Say goodbye to cacti and desert, and hello to forests of towering trees. Visitors searching for an escape from the desert heat head for the White Mountains and their majestic vistas of ponderosa pines. Others seek history and head northeast to the 186,000-acre Petrified Forest National Park and the Painted Desert. No matter the destination, don't forget to experience the area's local flavor, whether it's a museum of Native American crafts or a drive through a town whose name was derived from a winning hand of cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's