Nearly all of Alaska lies within the Alaska time zone, 20 hours behind Sydney, nine hours behind London, four hours behind New York City, three hours behind Chicago, and one hour behind Los Angeles and western Canada. The nearly unpopulated Aleutian Islands are in the same time zone as Hawaii, five hours behind the East Coast. Alaska observes Daylight Saving Time and changes its clocks along with the Lower 48.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe