Tombstone Territorial Park. Tombstone Territorial Park, located 1½ hours north of Dawson City and bisected by the Dempster Highway, is a 2,200-square-km (850-square-mi) area dubbed the "Patagonia of the northern hemisphere." Here you'll find some of the best hiking and views of granite peaks in the Yukon. The unique geology and geography of this wilderness supports a vast array of wildlife and vegetation. The park maintains four day-use trails at Km markers 58, 72, 75, and 78, along with one campground and an interpretation center at Km Marker 71.4, with good displays and great views of the mountains. It's worth stopping in to see how animals make it through the winter here. Throughout the park, backcountry mountaineering and wildlife-viewing options are endless. The new Visitor Center is a great place to get a handle on everything the park has to offer. You can book flightseeing trips over the jagged Tombstones from Dawson City. Box 600, Dawson City, Dawson City, YT, Y0B 1G0. 867/993–6850 in Dawson City; 866/617–2757 toll-free. www.yukonparks.ca. Interpretation center open late May–mid-Sept.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe