- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fortymile River. The beautiful Fortymile River offers everything from a 38-mi run to a lengthy journey to the Yukon and then down to Eagle. Its waters range from easy Class I to serious Class IV (possibly Class V) stretches. Only experienced canoeists should attempt boating on this river, and rapids should be scouted beforehand. Several access points can be found off the Taylor Highway. Chicken, AK.
Canoe Alaska. Since 1980 Canoe Alaska has conducted guided canoe and raft trips on Interior Alaska rivers. Trips (mid-May–Labor Day) range from two to eight days on rivers that vary in difficulty and remoteness. Evening interpretive tours in the Arctic Voyageur, a replica of a 34-foot voyageur canoe, are offered on a lake. Multiday Voyageur trips, canoe instruction, and rentals to qualified paddlers are also available. Chicken, AK. 907/883–2628. www.canoealaska.net.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe