The Interior Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Gold-rush heritage: The frontier spirit of the richest gold rush in Alaska remains alive in Fairbanks. From exploring dredges to panning for gold, chances to participate in the past abound.
Stern-wheeler cruises: The riverboatDiscoveryis an authentic stern-wheeler that cruises the Chena and Tanana rivers, which served as highways long before there were roads. Discovery is an authentic stern-wheeler that cruises the Chena and Tanana rivers, which served as highways long before there were roads.
The gateway to the Arctic: Fairbanks is an essential point for connections to northern Alaska—vast land of the midnight sun and the northern lights.
Dog mushing: The Interior is Alaska's prime mushing spot. Many people live here just so they can spend every free winter moment running sled dogs.
The U of A: Fairbanks is home to Alaska’s main university campus. This means the best museums, endless cultural events, and all the other perks of a college town. Just one that gets to −50°F in the winter.Updated: 01-2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's