The Interior Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Denali National Park and Preserve: Denali's vertical relief, 18,000 feet, is greater than Mt. Everest's. The park is a stunning place to sample Alaska's natural wonders.
Gold-rush heritage: The frontier spirit of the richest gold rush in Alaska remains alive in Fairbanks. From exploring dredges to panning for gold, chances to participate in the past abound.
Stern-wheeler cruises: The riverboat Discovery is an authentic stern-wheeler that cruises the Chena and Tanana rivers, which served as highways long before there were roads.
The gateway to the Arctic: Fairbanks is an essential point for connections to northern Alaska—vast land of the midnight sun and the northern lights.
Dog mushing: The Interior is Alaska's prime mushing spot. Many people live here just so they can spend every free winter moment running sled dogs.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe