- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alaskan Prospectors. The gold information center for Interior Alaska, Alaskan Prospectors is the oldest mining and prospecting supply store in the state, also featured on the Travel Channel. Stop here for gold pans and books or videos, or to visit the rocks and minerals museum. Employees have valuable advice for the neophyte gold bug. 504 College Rd., Fairbanks, AK, 99701. 907/452–7398.
Gold Dredge 8 and El Dorado Gold Mine. Gold Dredge 8 offers a two-hour tour of a seasonal mining operation, all from the comfort of a narrow-gauge railroad. Miners demonstrate classic and modern techniquies, and at the end, you get to try your own luck panning for gold. They've also brought over a lot of the historic elements from the old El Dorado Gold Mine, so it's a pretty complete look at how Fairbanks got rich. 1603 North Old Steese Highway, Fairbanks, AK, 99709. 907/479–6673 or 866/479–6673. www.golddredge8.com. $39.95.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's