- Gold-rush heritage The frontier spirit of the richest gold rush in Alaska remains alive in Fairbanks. From exploring dredges to panning for gold, chances to participate in the past abound.
- Stern-wheeler cruises The riverboatDiscoveryis an authentic stern-wheeler that cruises the Chena and Tanana rivers, which served as highways long before there were roads. Discovery is an authentic stern-wheeler that cruises the Chena and Tanana rivers, which served as highways long before there were roads.
- The gateway to the Arctic Fairbanks is an essential point for connections to northern Alaska—vast land of the midnight sun and the northern lights.
- Dog mushing The Interior is Alaska's prime mushing spot. Many people live here just so they can spend every free winter moment running sled dogs.
- The U of A Fairbanks is home to Alaska’s main university campus. This means the best museums, endless cultural events, and all the other perks of a college town. Just one that gets to −50°F in the winter.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More