- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
As much a lifestyle as a place, "the Bush" generally refers to all of mainland Alaska that lies beyond the road system, plus the western islands. And that really means about 90% of the state. Geographically, though, the Bush encompasses all of western Alaska, from the North Pacific to the Beaufort Sea; that part of Alaska's mainland lying north of the Arctic Circle; and a good chunk of the Interior. Figure it this way: if your cell phone works, you're probably not really in the Bush.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe