- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports, the Outdoors, and Guided Tours
For those new to the region or the sport of kayaking, companies based in Kodiak lead trips to local coastal areas, including Shuyak Island. Besides exploring the coastal land- and seascape, paddlers will have a chance to see a variety of birds and marine mammals, possibly including whales. The world holds few thrills quite as great as seeing a whale from kayak height, and hearing them exhale on a still morning. For more experienced kayakers, a limited number of sea-kayaks may be reserved in advance from Sea Hawk Air charter company in Kodiak. The kayaks are located in front of the Big Bay Ranger Station on Shuyak Island and can be picked up when you fly in.
Sea Hawk Air. This company offers floatplane charters, scenic flights and bear-viewing, custom hunting and fishing trips, and Shuyak kayak rentals. 506 Trident Way, Kodiak, AK, 99615. 907/486–8282. www.seahawkair.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe