- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. The famed Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race—the Olympics of sled-dog racing—reaches its culmination in Nome in mid-March. Racers start in Anchorage for a trip of nine days to two weeks (the record, set in 2011, is an astounding eight days, 18 hours, 46 minutes, 39 seconds). The arrival of the mushers heralds a winter carnival. Nome, AK.
Iditarod Trail Committee. For dates, starting times, and other information, contact the Iditarod Trail Committee. 907/376–5155. www.iditarod.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Sled-Dog Racing
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe