- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alaska Airlines Vacations. From mid-May through September you can take an Alaska Airlines Vacations package from Anchorage or Fairbanks to "the top of the world" and get a chance to learn about the natural and cultural history of the area. Barrow, AK. 866/500–5511. www.alaskavacationsalaska.com.
Tundra Tours. Year-round tours are organized through Tundra Tours. Offered from mid-September through mid-May, the winter tours feature visits to a traditional hunting camp, the whaling station, the DEWS site, and opportunities to visit Point Barrow and watch northern lights. The summer program is highlighted by visits to local historic sites and opportunities to witness traditional cultural activities such as Eskimo dances, sewing demonstrations, and the blanket toss. In both winter and summer, visitors can purchase locally made Inupiaq arts and crafts. Barrow, AK. 907/852–3900. www.tundratoursinc.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe