- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
St. Elias Alpine Guides. Based in the town of McCarthy and operating for over three decades, this guide outfit gives introductory mountaineering lessons, leads excursions ranging from half-day glacier walks to monthlong backpacking trips, and is the only company contracted by the Park Service to conduct guided tours of historic Kennicott buildings. If you'd rather raft than hike, its Copper Oar rafting outfit (www.copperoar.com) has river trips into the heart of the wilderness. AK. 907/554-4445 or 888/933-5427. www.steliasguides.com.
Wrangell Outfitters. A team of hearty Alaskans cook great meals and take visitors on horse-packing trips into the heart of Wrangell–St. Elias National Park and Preserve. AK. 724/427–5350. www.wrangelloutfitters.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe