- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Wasilla made national news in 2008 when Sarah Palin, the former governor of the state and former mayor of the town, was picked to be the Republican vice presidential candidate. Wasilla is one of the valley's original pioneer communities, and over time has served as a supply center for farmers, gold miners, and mushers. Today fast-food restaurants and strip malls line the Parks Highway. It's the best place for stocking up if you're heading north to Talkeetna or Denali. Rolling hills and more scenic vistas can be found by wandering the area's back roads.
Wasilla at a Glance
Elsewhere in Mat-Su Valley and Beyond
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's