- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With mountain-ringed farms, Palmer is charming and photogenic. This is the place to search for 100-pound cabbages and fresh farm cheese. Historic buildings are scattered throughout the Mat-Su Valley; in 1935 the federal government relocated about 200 farm families here from the Depression-ridden Midwest. Now it has developed into the state's major agricultural region. Good growing conditions of rich soil and long hours of summer sunlight result in some huge vegetables.
Palmer at a Glance
Elsewhere in Mat-Su Valley and Beyond
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's