- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The little gold-mining community of Hope sits just across Turnagain Arm from Anchorage. To visit, however, you must drive the 87 miles all the way around the arm. Your reward is a quiet little community that is accessible to but not overrun by tourists. Hope was founded by miners in 1896, and the old log cabins and weathered frame buildings in the town center are favorite photography subjects. You'll find lots of gold-panning, fishing, and hiking opportunities, and the northern trailhead for the 38-mile-long Resurrection Pass Trail is nearby. Contact the U.S. Forest Service for information on campgrounds, cabin rentals, and hikes in the area.
Hope at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Kenai Peninsula
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's