- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alaska Excursions. Booking independently with Alaska Excursions—which leads wheeled (no snow) sled-dog tours, horseback-riding tours, and zipline adventures—can be difficult, as cruise-ship groups reserve the bulk of available slots. Advance planning is recommended. 5th Ave., Skagway, AK, 99840. 907/983–4444. www.alaskaexcursions.com.
Packer Expeditions. This company offers guided hikes on wilderness trails not accessible by road. One trip includes a helicopter flight, a 2-mile hike toward the Laughton Glacier, and a one-hour ride back to town on the White Pass Railroad. A longer hike on the same trail uses the train for access in both directions and includes time hiking on the glacier. 9th Ave. and State St., Skagway, AK, 99840. 907/983–3005. www.packerexpeditions.com.
Temsco Helicopters. Fly to Denver Glacier for an hour of learning about mushing and riding on a dogsled with Temsco Helicopters. The company also offers guided glacier discovery tours to other locations in the area. 901 Terminal Way, Skagway, AK, 99840. 907/983–2900 or 866/683–2900. www.temscoair.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's