Hiking and Bird-Watching in Sitka
Hiking and Bird-Watching
Sitka Trail Works. Get a map of local trails from Sitka Trail Works. 801 Halibut Point Rd., Sitka, AK, 99835. 907/747–7244. www.sitkatrailworks.org.
Starrigavan Recreation Area. Seven miles north of Sitka, Starrigavan Recreation Area is a peaceful, end-of-the-road place to explore the rain forest. The state ferry terminal is less than a mile from Starrigavan, and a popular Forest Service campground is also here. Several easy trails lead hikers through the area, including the ¼-mile boardwalk Estuary Life Trail. It circles a small estuary and includes a bird-viewing shelter and access to a nearby artesian well. The ¾-mile Forest and Muskeg Trail winds through a spruce-hemlock forest and traverses a muskeg, with interpretive signs along the way. Across the road is the delightful 1¼-mile loop Mosquito Cove Trail, which skirts the rocky shoreline to Mosquito Cove before returning through thickly forested hills. Halibut Point Rd., Sitka, AK, 99835. 907/747–4216.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's